Monday, July 23, 2012

changing of the guard...


Once again, we have doves nesting.  This time they have chosen the window box on our shed.  I can watch them perfectly from my art room and yesterday morning I witnessed the changing of the guard.  I was so excited!  Above is "Mommy Dove".  Below is "Daddy Dove".  They have a big job ahead of them.



"Eggs are incubated for 14 to 15 days.  The female dove sits on the eggs at night and during part of the day.  The male dove stands guard at night, often some distance away.  During the day, the male relieves the female so she can eat and drink.  Toward the end of the 14 day incubation period, both parents often incubate the eggs together to provide additional heat and humidity."  www.diamonddove.info

5 comments:

Suz said...

ohhhh here's keeping my fingers crossed......I just love doves
Farmlady's last goat died
did you ever visit her blog?

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Great pictures!! I love having nesting birds around, but didn't know that Doves were still becoming parents--I'll have to take a closer look around because we've had them nesting around our barn.

I hope your week is off to as good of a start as the Dove family! :-)

Gloria said...

Oh, how fun that you are able to witness them caring for their baby. Doves are so beautiful!

Happy Monday!

xoxo...Gloria

april said...

Kept meaning to ask you for the name again, Sue. Will do.

I was surprised too, Kim. Thought the time was only in the spring. But no.

They're still two little white eggs, Gloria

Laura said...

Oh April you blog wouldn't be your blog if you weren't sharing something about your experience with the little bits of wild life..so happy they found it comfortable to next again right outside you art window...hmmm how great it that?