Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Today

Today is poetry class and I am blocked.  Maybe just too busy with other classes and things at this time, but I love poetry class.  I'm up early and I wish I could think of something to write about.  I'm going to sit quietly and look around.  Maybe something will come to me, like what happened one day in October...

October ends and the morning
takes time to awaken.
The quiet kitchen
adds secretiveness to the darkness.
I grind the 8 O'Clock and choose my cup
that reflects a sprightly bird
sitting beside his iron cage.
The gurgling of the coffeepot
and the aroma gladdens me.
I savor this morning time
with my thoughts free,
free like the brown bird on my cup.
Soon, light begins to seep in
freely filtering through
the shuttered windows
and the bird and I toast praises
to the new day.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Beautiful poem! Have fun in poetry class.

Misty Mawn has some great tips on writing poetry and journaling in her book, Unfurling (a mixed-media workshop with Misty Mawn), published by Quarry. She has a list of prompts to guide you into writing. They really help when you are stuck!! :)

Happy Easter to you!
xoxo...Gloria