Sunday, October 17, 2010

More of TheDoor

 This is "Sweetie Pies" in Fish Creek.  I knew "Sweetie Pie" and her mom 50 years ago, when my mom and I used to vacation in Fish Creek!  Her mom used to play the accordian and make the best cherry pies at The White Gull Inn.  We had the best times!  This is the sweetest little pie shop.  http://www.doorcountypies.com/ 

 And here is the journal page that she was so kind to do for me in my MYM journal while we were there this month.  So special.

The White Gull Inn where all my memories of Door County started.  This is the Main Lodge.  It was in the 60s that I found their ad in a newspaper and off my mom and I would go on the train each summer for a week.  At that time, it was $5 per night! The owners, then, would pick us up from the train station and take us to the Inn for a week of wonderful home-cooked food, friendly people who became like family, and treasured memories. 

The rooms and cottages are most beautiful.  This is The Welcker House. 

 http://www.whitegullinn.com/ 

 "I remember the fish boils...

 and the inside of the dining room is as homey as ever...

and across the way is the walk and the trees that we walked along, Mom..."

7 comments:

Elena said...

I always love coming to your blog because it feels like coming home for a much needed hug. There is serenity and comfort here. Oh what beautiful memories and journal page. You are such a warm soul dear April.

Robin said...

April, I am soooooo ejoying your Door County photots and memories!!! It is such a special place! And I am discovering places that I have missed all these years!! I've never been to Off The Wheel Pottery but it looks wonderful! And I've never been to Sweetie Pies! How cool that you knew them from so long ago! Lovely journal page too! I must get started on mine. I really do love your blog!

april said...

and your comments warm my heart...thank you. hug-hug

Suz said...

what a grand place of comfort
visited in the heart
so happy you hold such memories
of this wonderful place
it is magic

MB said...

April, We were in Door County last month and I saw Sweetie's but we didn't stop in. Wish I had known of your deep and fond connection to the place ahead of time! We climbed the Cana Island lighthouse and took the ferry to Washington Island on a gorgeous clear day! Also climbed the tower in Peninsula Park and saw the same play you did, "Panic"!

april said...

Next time also visit the American Folklore Theatre. This is the second time we have seen them. This year the play was "Guys & Does". Three actors on the stage and absolutely a hysterical and enjoyable evening! So good, really! www.FolkloreTheatre.com

MB said...

We saw the poster for Guys and Does and cracked up! Ran out of time, though. Glad you got to see it!