Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Full Moon

Here is the Green Corn Moon. This August 24th full moon is the smallest, farthest full moon of the year. Interesting to read on www.earthsky.org that "the farthest and closest full moons recur in regular cycles. The closest full moon comes 7 lunar months - in other words, 7 full moons - after the farthest full moon. Then the farthest full moon comes 7 lunar months after the closest full moon. That means that, for the next 7 lunar months, the full moon will come progressively closer to Earth. Seven full moons after today's full moon, the closest full moon of the cycle will fall on March 19, 2011".
and...
"The moon is near a bright object on August 27, 2010, but - no matter what anyone tells you - that bright object is not the planet Mars. Instead, it's Jupiter."
I don't know why I'm drawn to this stuff. Actually, it's rather scary to me to peer into the sky. We all have a phobia, don't we? I almost just want to hide and peek through the curtains. But my mother loved to look at the stars and the moon, so I guess I just have to do it. And then I have to photograph it yet! And I can see Jupiter out there this morning, getting closer to the moon.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Alot of good info there April..thanks for sharing..

Doris said...

"I see the moon and the moon sees me, God bless the moon and God bless me!"
I'm gonna have to look for Jupiter!

J (uk) said...

ooh! The moon is so amazing isn't it? I never tire of looking at it. And... what a beautiful tea cosy you made April! Being a Brit I appreciate such fine things in life! :)xx

Suz said...

you know I was speaking to my sleeping husband about the moon last night...I said, Art, you should see how high the moon looks...I know he roused a bit..and probably thought I'd gone nutty off the cliff
HA! I was right! thanks April

Gloria said...

I love the full moon! I think of pumpkins,,,hay rides...all sorts of fun Autumn things...:)