Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Books, books, books!

Last week, it was lunch at Julie's and the second session of our study of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Tish brought a delicious salad that she made. "Marshall Field's Blueberry Chicken Salad with apples, grapes, hazelnuts, and blue cheese". And then gave us our lesson in "The Great Gatsby".

I would have never got so much out of this book, if it weren't for her, our "teacher".

It's so interesting, filled with wonderful visual descriptions and "interesting characters". She tells us how to watch for eyes, looks, physical descriptions, and other things that will help us to understand the sometimes hidden messages in the story.

Then today, it was "Bookies". It had been my month to choose the book and be the facilatator. I chose "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. We had a really great discussion and everyone loved the book! Georgene had set a lovely table for our coffee, tea and goodies. She always has special cups & saucers, glasses and silverware.

4 comments:

Suz said...

you belong to two book groups?
I love the photo of the dishes
you did a great job on an enjoyable book

april said...

No... Brent's high school english teacher is tutoring us this summer. She's a dear.

Laura said...

http://rachelsbite.blogspot.com/2006/12/blueberry-chicken-salad.html

You got me going April...you've been given the gift to have great fun and socialize with wonder...I want to be you when I grow up...heheheh.

Doris said...

I wish I had those lazy days of summer to catch up on reading!