Saturday, April 24, 2010

Shades of spring

Lots of projects to work on today, but here was some continued inspiration for a new weekly project. A quilt journal! I love the idea, which will start out simple for me, but it can turn into mixed media by adding extra things onto the quilt "page". I cut out the pieces yesterday, but this robin was peeking at me this morning and so he influenced me to name this one "Shades of Spring". Each weekly piece should represent something that was memorable to you that week.

Pieces cut, assembled, and pinned for quilting.

Quilted. Not too straight, but this is supposed to be impromptu and fun. The tops represent the colors of the sprouting trees and the bottom, the bark and grass. (Looks like an earthquake, huh?) My quilting teacher, Denise, has been doing this for some time now, shows us her piece each week, and it just sounds so interesting to me, that I have to give it a whirl. I love journals! Denise was inspired to do these journal pages after reading an article in Quilting Arts by Jeanne Williamson. http://www.theuncommonquilter.com/ . This is a good way to use up small pieces of fabric that are hanging around and also recycling interesting things to use as embellishments.

No comments: