Saturday, November 28, 2009

Winter weed research

After our walk yesterday, I was determined to find out the names of these two weeds that I wondered about. I got out my little "Winter Weed Finder" and, lo and behold, this one is Thistle. Do you know that I was always mixed up about Thistle and Teasel. Always thought Teasel was Thistle. I think I need to attempt a tongue-twister!
Telling tantalizing tales of thistle and teasel twists your tongue to a terrible tangle!
(okay, my poet friends, critique please!)

Could this be Burdock?

3 comments:

Suz said...

Winter weeds? sounds like fun reading
I got myself all stuck in aster winter weeds and they ruined my sweater! Know I know how I got so many in my yard

april said...

I have two little books and I don't remember where I got them, but they have sweet little pen&ink drawings in them, along with descriptions. "Winter Weed Finder" by Dorcas S. Miller and illustrated by Ellen Amendolara. "Winter Tree Finder" by May Theilgaard Watts and Tom Watts.

Doris said...

Love that tongue twister! I kept planting forget me not seeds and coming up with a bee bee size thistle thorn. Finally bought plants... keep coming back without thorns.