Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Farewell


Yesterday was a special family dinner to say good-bye to Brent for a while. I roasted a whole beef tenderloin, Julie brought a wonderful mixed greens salad with a special dressing, and we had baked potatoes w/sour cream and chives, buttered carrots and my Brownies for dessert. Summer is over and time to return to school. He is looking forward to his junior year in college and excited about his choice of creative writing classes. One is "English Prosody", the rhythm of language. When he told me, I must have looked puzzled. I had never come across that word before. Prosody. He explained what it meant and I was interested enough to look it up. According to Webster -

Prosody - tone, accent, song sung to music; the science or art of versification, including the study of metrical structure, stanza forms, etc. ; a paticular system or style of versification and metrical structure. (Dryden's prosody)

John Dryden 1631-1700; English poet, critic and playwright; poet laureate 1570-1688.

laureate - woven of sprigs of laurel; said of a crown or wreath; crowned with a laurel wreath as a mark of honor or distinction; worthy of honor; distinguished; preeminent, esp. among poets; a person on whom honor or distinction is conferred.

4 comments:

Suz said...

Gosh,April, I remember when he was trying to decide where to go to college. I think that class is going to be hard. But well worth the learning of it. So, what does he like to write?
One writer, one painter....if you had another grandchild...musician?
You have such a lovely,loving family...

Ann said...

April...you have such a loving,bonded family...all so talented!! I've never heard of that word either..now I,too, have learned something new. Your dinner sounds so good!! I'll bet he's really going to miss your cooking too!

april said...

Brent most likes to write short stories. He is also writing music and songs.

Doris said...

Sounds to me like he'll be writing much more music! What a wonderful option to have!