Sunday, August 9, 2009

Yoo-Hoo!

A special page in my journal.

When I opened the newspaper movie section the other day, a wonderful surprise stared me in the face! "Yoo-Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg!" "The Goldbergs" was a television series that began in 1949 and I don't know why but it holds a special place in my heart. It is just so much of a memory of my childhood days. Gertrude Berg was such a comfortable mom/grandmother figure. You just had to love her. Anyway, the program would always start out with a neighbor in the same tenement calling out of her window, "Yoo-Hoo, Mrs. Goldberg!" and the gossiping would begin. I will always remember that show and that calling out for attention between the ladies. It has stuck in my memory. When my grandson, Brent, was little and would be daydreaming when I was talking to him - I would say "yoo-hoo, Mrs. Goldberg". That would get through to him and he would look up and we both would have a good laugh. Now I do the same thing to Danielle, my granddaughter. If she isn't listening when I talk to her, I say "yoo-hoo, Mrs. Goldberg" and it gets her attention right away. I don't know of anyone else who remembers Mrs. Goldberg except myself. When I saw this article in the paper, it was like seeing an old friend. Now they have made a documentary about her! Good for you, Gertrude Berg!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

I remember Mrs. Goldberg and also I remember Mama.

Ann said...

i don't remember this...i was born in '54. this is one i know i would have liked. aren't these kinds of memories fun!