Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Memories of Summer"

When beginning my collage for today's workshop, I decided to use a black & white copy of the zoo map. We had visited the zoo a few times this summer and they were fun times to remember.

Wasn't sure if I was going to incorporate some green, but decided to include the identification bands from the beer stand. Also, one day, Danielle had made me a little handwritten note and told me that I could use it in a collage, so I wanted to add that. Then began adding color.

Admission tickets and tickets to the special attractions made me steer toward the golds, tans and oranges. Then I found some painted squares that I had done that fit the color scheme.

The angel represents our summer art sessions. The moon for all the full moons I remember seeing in the early mornings. And, of course, couldn't leave out my mourning dove story and our visitor, Mrs. Field Mouse! Yes, it was certainly a summer surrounded with animals.

Bunnies here and at Julie's, and the wonderful trees and dragonflies in Minnesota at St. John's University.

Thousands of dragonflies! I also slipped in my school song in memory of my reunion last weekend, and a very special visit from the coyote.

Ended it with putting a wooden black frame in place. Now, I hope everyone coming today has lots of wonderful summer memories to put into their collages!

8 comments:

Doris said...

Fabulous!

Suz said...

The way you placed the dragonflies..I felt myself drawn into the collage...very very nice April And an added blessing is that I feel I spent the summer with you...heh...I did..sort of

Uta said...

Loved the process. Thanks for sharing. The dragonflies are just fabulous and add a pathway through the work. Truly lovely piece.

butterfly woman said...

It was fun to see the collage taking place. Such a personal piece, full of emotions and something to hold onto.

I especially love Danielle's handwritten note and how she said you could use it in a collage. Sweet.

Finally, those dragonflies look so real (were they once?) as if they had just landed on your paper to say Hi!

LOVE THIS, APRIL.......

Elena said...

Oh, so beautiful. Having you share your summer stories in your blog and then viewing them all recapped in this collage was wonderful. You are so talented, dear friend.

Laura said...

so glad you put that all together i had forgotten the adventure of the doves... Oh I loved coming to you blog to hear of there progress.

Great piece April

Laura said...

For a personal compositional note. When things are placed on angles that is a understanding that there is action or movement. And relooking at your piece April I reflect on all the things you have shared this summer on your blog with us and we have flowed along with you and it has been one action packed time and I see that not in your piece and the angle present themselves to reflect that... Just has to share that don't know if you intended that or not but it show great fun and movement.

april said...

Thank you all. You've made it even more meaningful to me.