Friday, July 10, 2009

Oh no!


Good grief! A mommy mouse built a nest in the barbeque grill and there were 4 babies! All pink! Hubby deposited them way back in the trees and mommy ran off and hopefully finds them. Oh mommy! Doesn't she look like she needs a lacy bonnet?
Reminds me of years ago, when Julie found some orphaned baby mice in her garage. They were crying. She brought them in and nursed them on Baby Pears, bird seed and peanut butter. I know because I was in charge of them , along with the beagles, when they went away on vacation for a week. They thrived. She gave them a hamster wheel and when they kept everyone up all night, she had to put them in the basement. Soon they were strong enough and she released them to the open field in back of her house. As they ran away... one looked back with indecision.

6 comments:

Audrey said...

Are you sure the mouse is real? I thought maybe Rich carved her just to scare you. I had a mother and babies in my grill some years ago and didn't know it. It was evening, almost dark and I when I lit the grill, I saw this wierd thing plop out of the bottom. It was mama with her babies attached. So they all got away.

april said...

She was real alright! I sat on the floor, inside the glass door going out onto the deck, while Rich and Henri ran around after her. Couldn't believe that I got that picture! I haven't seen her today, so hope she found her little family.

Suz said...

I just love your Julie

april said...

Me too.

Laura said...

Oh april it so exciting around your homestead this year all the critters just feeling so comfortable and eager to make a home.

Doris said...

Never in my grill! (Guess I should go look in the garage.) I've left my burn pile go for baby rabbits and my compost bin go for baby shrews.