Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Empty Nest

The nest is empty!

Anxious Ernest left early in the morning before anyone was awake and now Emma, who was much more skeptical, started out.

Mommy Dove returned to the nest to find them both gone. "Where are you? You must wait for me to help you find food! Did you see them, Peter?"

"Huh? I was busy nibbling tender leaves from Mr. Joe's flower garden. I wasn't watching!"

"I watched the whole thing!"


"You did? What? Where?"

"You are so watchful. Please tell us where they went."

"Where? Under here?"

"Down here?"
"Oh yes! They were here. And now I know they have flown to the trees in the back. I will find them!"

"This secret garden was a nice place to learn to stretch your wings."

Mommy and Daddy Dove were very happy that both Ernest and Emma tried out their wings as they were taught and were busy introducing themselves to all the other birds in the neighborhood. "We did a good job", said Mommy.

"Yes we did", said Daddy. "Ernest and Emma will make a fine addition to the Dove Family!"

7 comments:

Laura said...

Love the natural drama!! makes me laugh and a tear in my eye for the end of that little cycle is complete.

Thanks April loved the whole story
~v~Laura

Suz said...

I, like Laura, want a first edition of this fabulous story...illustrated by April Schabes,of course.
-I will be at art class this week if you want to bring the calendar for me

Audrey said...

Wow, April you sure have an imagination. You should put this together along with your drawings in a little book for children.

april said...

Thanks, my dear friends! I sure enjoyed them while they were here. Yes, it was kind of sad that it's over. They do visit though. I see them.

Uta said...

Good luck to Ernest and Emma for a long, happy and healthy life. Its been great to follow along with their progress. Thanks April.

Elena said...

Oh April. This is beautiful. You could write such beautiful books. My son and I enjoyed your beautiful pictures. He wanted to know how you got the bunny to pose. I think it's your sweet spirit.

april said...

haha! He didn't know he was "posing". He just happened to hop along at the right time. He's kind of always there. I think he lives under my small deck on the side of my house.